TVNZ 23 April 2013
Family First is vowing to keep its anti-marriage equality website running for the next few years after it was repeatedly attacked by hackers.
The Protect Marriage website suffered another attack by hackers on Sunday, just a few days after the same-sex marriage bill was passed.
National Director of Family First NZ and co-ordinator of the Protect Marriage campaign Bob McCoskrie said the hack causing its webhost to remove the site from the web on Sunday night.
“This is no ordinary webhost – we are using a host in the US that specialises in hosting websites that are likely to be attacked,” said Bob McCoskrie.
“The attack was a ‘Denial of Service’ attack whereby the attackers send large numbers of requests for information, overloading the site.”
The security breach came four days after MPs approved the Marriage (Definition of Marriage) Amendment Bill by 77 to 44 in a conscience vote.
McCoskie said the website has been targeted by hackers previously and a death threat was also received through the site which was referred to police.